It’s the time of year to refresh, renew & rejuvenate. Our internal wings are looking to spread, our roots looking to gain ground as the earth thaws and we can assist our inner-selves by cleaning and clearing the outer clutter. Here are 6 tips & tricks to help clean our homes to create space for our intentions to bloom. So open the windows, put on your favourite dancing music, and let’s clear space with intention & fun!
1. Use salt to cleanse old energies. Sprinkle salt in your home to remove the stuck winter energy and begin to clear space for something new! Salt is great for helping to lessen emotional blocks and dispel negativity. It has been used for many years across a variety of modalities, and is very commonly used in Feng Shui. Vacuum or sweep up at the end of your cleaning ritual.
2. Essential oils are an amazing, natural way to disinfect your home and simultaneously leave a refreshing scent. Here at Wonderworks, our staple cleaning essential oils are Ti-tree & Eucalyptus. Put a few drops of lemon in for some extra anti-bacterial power or add your favourite scent (how about bergamot, juniper, or cedar?) for a little aromatherapy while you clean! Use a few drops in hot water to mop with, or create a blend to continuously dip a cloth into.
3. Smudge with a sage bundle or loose sage to clear the space in your home. Sage is a sacred herb in Native American tradition, so use this herb with honour. Thank the herb for its life sacrifice and set an intention for your space clearing. Light the sage for a few seconds until it catches fire and wait until the fire goes out and it starts smoking. Fan the smoke around your home, spending extra time in the corners where energy can get caught. If smoke is not agreeable for you or your space, Wonderworks has smokeless smudge by Sacred Scents. It is a delicious, high quality, natural blend of sweetgrass, sage and cedar oils & hydrosols.
4. On the topic of space clearing, considering moving around furniture that has been stationary for months or years. Energy can stagnate around these objects as well. Spring is a great time to try something new, so turn that table horizontally or put that couch on an angle if you have the space!
5. Create a crystal grid as a meditative break from your groovy, space clearing, spring cleaning. Crystals are a great way to call in different energies and working with them can help create a warm, heart-full home. Use Amethyst, Rose Quartz and Smokey Quartz to dispel negativity and bring in love. Grounding, protective stones like Hematite and Black Tourmaline keep your space balanced. Clear Quartz is great to place around your home as it amplifies energies.
6. Sound is also a great way to clear space. Using drums, tingshaws or singing bowls can move up and shake around stuck energy to help is dissipate. Walk around your home with a singing bowl, playing and moving it around to release what no longer serves you.